ERASMUS+ KA2 STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS FOR VET
“Searching the Extensive Application at Maritime Protocol – SEAMAP”
The project titled as “Searching the Extensive Application at Maritime Protocol – SEAMAP” approved by Turkish National Agency (www.ua.gov.tr) and funded by European Commission under the framework of Erasmus+ Programme KA2 Strategic Partnerships for Vocational Education and Training (VET) as a Development of Innovation is coordinated by Lucent Maritime (www.lucentmaritime.com), a subsidiary of LAM Lyonel A. Makzume group of companies. Lucent Maritime is the first MLC certified company operating crewing services based in Istanbul – Turkey, dealing with providing Crew Management and Ship Services to international ship-owners.
The SEAMAP consortium consists of the partners; Tuzla Kaymakamligi (District Governorship) (www.tuzla.gov.tr) situated in Tuzla – Istanbul, experienced in project development, management and dissemination, Turk Loydu (www.turkloydu.org), headquarter located in Tuzla – Istanbul, classification society and a conformity assessment body on maritime, energy, transportation & logistics, building, production sectors, Sea Teach (www.sea-teach.com), recognised RYA training centre for motor-cruising and powerboating located in Mallorca – Spain, Constanta Maritime University (https://cmu-edu.eu/en/) from Romania, Danmar Computers (www.danmar-computers.com.pl), IT company located in Poland.
As known, the World carries 90% of its goods through sea-transport, which requires a significant supply of labour, both at sea and ashore. A major obstacle for the maritime industry has been finding the right employee/trainee for a position in terms of skill and competence and vice-versa for both employees/trainees and employers. The maritime industry has a shortage of qualified personnel, especially in Europe.
The SEAMAP project addresses the need for cooperation between VET and the world of work in the maritime sector by fostering integration of maritime working life into maritime institution-based VET and enhancing the entrepreneurial skills of the people dealing with the maritime issues. This will be achieved by the promotion of more work related activities in the intended VET programmes, including the innovative models of work placement (work experience, work shadowing, work-based learning and apprenticeships). The main benefits of the project are to improve the attractiveness of the maritime industry, to provide increased mobility across, to foster the career guidance, to enhance the placement opportunities and to develop the entrepreneurial competences of the people at maritime and VET sectors.
The project has four main objectives:
- to support internationally recognised seafaring qualifications as a response to current identified shortages of seafarers and employees at shipbuilding sector and help companies to recruit personnel who are qualified to undertake various maritime employment and placements opportunities at sea or ashore, including ship operating, ship building, maritime service sector, etc.
- to create opportunities for young trainees and maritime personnel to find jobs commensurate with their qualifications
- to develop the entrepreneurial competences at sea or ashore including maritime service sector and ship building sectors by conducting need analysis and developing entrepreneurial training course materials.
- to create a web based platform to unify job seekers/trainees and job/placement providers in a medium which will allow both parties easier access to jobs/placements and bring employees/trainees together respectively. The platform will provide a range of support services to aid the skills development of trainees/personnel in order to find jobs which meet their qualifications and to start-up their own business (entrepreneurial competences) in the maritime sector.
Yalçın Kuzören, project coordinator at Istanbul – Tuzla District Governorship Project Development and Management Centre, has contributed so much to generating the project idea and composing the project proposal. He stated that the SEAMAP project is a crucial project which will meet up all stakeholders at maritime sector.
İlker Atağ, general manager at Lucent Maritime, which is the applicant institution and the coordinator of the project, has made a significant contribution to the SEAMAP project in terms of gathering the associated partners and shaping the project proposal with his experience in maritime transportation & logistics. İlker Atağ pointed out that the platform, to be developed by the partnership, will become a maritime career, training and entrepreneurial meeting-point and it will truly contribute to the development of the maritime sector.
The SEAMAP, Erasmus+ KA2 Strategic Partnerships project is implemented as a development of innovation in the fields of career, vocational development and entrepreneurship at maritime sector. The project duration is 24 months (2017-2019).
You can get more information about the project from the project web site: www.projectseamap.eu
Please follow us on social media:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SeamapProject
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/seamapproject
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/seamap-project-175045153/